Rahul Gandhi arrives in flood-hit Uttarakhand
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi on Monday arrived in Uttarakhand to take stock of rescue operations, days after rains wrought havoc in the mountainous state.
Rahul Gandhi, who faced flak from the opposition for his absence at the time of the Uttarakhand disaster, will visit the AICC control room set up in Dehradun to monitor the relief work being done by the party.
He is also expected to meet the victims during his visit, party sources said.
Earlier in the day, Rahul along with his mother, Sonia Gandhi, flagged off trucks carrying relief materials to calamity-hit Uttarakhand.
Trucks carried food articles, medicines, clothes and blankets for the flood-affected people.
Last week, the Congress had downplayed the absence of Rahul Gandhi, who was reportedly out of the country when the tragedy struck Uttarakhand, adding the party`s top leadership, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and chief Sonia Gandhi, were monitoring the rescue and relief operations in the flood-hit hill state.
"It should not matter who has gone (to flood-hit areas) and who has not. The focus should be on rescue and relief operations. Both Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia Gandhi are monitoring the situation. VIP visits hamper relief operations. Sonia Gandhi has not visited Uttarakhand keeping this in mind. She will visit as soon as the situation improves," Congress spokesperson Raj Babbar had told reporters when asked about Rahul Gandhi`s absence when both the party and the government are busy battling the massive tragedy.
Both the Prime Minister and Sonia Gandhi had conducted an aerial survey of the flood-hit areas of Uttarakhand on Wednesday.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview