Rahul Gandhi attends last rites of IAF man killed in chopper crash
Amethi: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Saturday arrived here and met the family members of IAF officer Akhilesh Kumar Singh who died in Tuesday`s chopper crash in Uttarakhand.
The Congress vice president and local MP arrived at Fursatganj airport here this afternoon and drove to Pure Nago village under Deeh area to meet the family of the junior warrant officer.
Gandhi met Akhilesh`s father Vikramjit Singh and wife Anju Singh and assured all possible help to the bereaved family.
When pointed out that the deceased officer was keen on providing quality education to his young kids, the local MP said he would do everything to ensure it.
Gandhi told the family to talk to him directly in case of any problem. He also attended the cremation in the village later.
The body of the martyr was brought to his native village here in the forenoon.
An Indian Air Force helicopter crashed on June 25 during a rescue mission in Uttarakhand. All 20 people, including its five crew members, were killed in the mishap.
Two of the IAF personnel belonged to Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi