Rahul Gandhi attends last rites of IAF man killed in chopper crash
Amethi: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Saturday arrived here and met the family members of IAF officer Akhilesh Kumar Singh who died in Tuesday`s chopper crash in Uttarakhand.
The Congress vice president and local MP arrived at Fursatganj airport here this afternoon and drove to Pure Nago village under Deeh area to meet the family of the junior warrant officer.
Gandhi met Akhilesh`s father Vikramjit Singh and wife Anju Singh and assured all possible help to the bereaved family.
When pointed out that the deceased officer was keen on providing quality education to his young kids, the local MP said he would do everything to ensure it.
Gandhi told the family to talk to him directly in case of any problem. He also attended the cremation in the village later.
The body of the martyr was brought to his native village here in the forenoon.
An Indian Air Force helicopter crashed on June 25 during a rescue mission in Uttarakhand. All 20 people, including its five crew members, were killed in the mishap.
Two of the IAF personnel belonged to Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'