Rahul Gandhi granted four days to reply to Election Commission’s notice
Zee Media Bureau/Hemant Abhishek
New Delhi: Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi on Monday sought one week`s time to reply to Election Commission`s notice on poll code violation, but was granted only four days time.
EC has given Gandhi time till November 4 to reply to its notice on his speeches.
Election Commission had on Thursday served the Congress party scion with a notice for his alleged speeches in which he had claimed that Pakistan`s ISI was trying to exploit Muzaffarnagar riot victims and accused BJP of playing politics of hatred.
The poll panel had directed him to explain by today as to why action should not be initiated against him for prima facie violating the model code of conduct.
EC had issued the notice to the Congress leader after examining his speeches made in Churu, Rajasthan on October 23 and in Indore, Madhya Pradesh on October 24.
The Commission also took into account a complaint filed by the main opposition party, BJP, in this regard and the electoral officer`s report in connection with Rahul’s speech.
"The Commission is prima facie of the view that your aforesaid speeches are violative of above-referred sub paras (1), (2) and (3) of Para 1 of the model code of conduct for political parties and candidates,” the EC said in its order.
The development comes a week after a delegation of BJP leaders met the EC officials and handed over a complaint letter against Rahul Gandhi for his alleged defamatory speech during his poll campaigns in Rajasthan.
The BJP had sought action against Gandhi after he addressed rallies in Churu and Kherli in Rajasthan for "inciting riotous behaviour."
During a rally in Indore, Rahul had claimed that some Muslim youths from riots-hit Muzaffarnagar area were contacted by the Pakistan`s intelligence agency, ISI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre