Rahul Gandhi has proved his mettle for PM`s post: Oommen Chandy
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi has proved his mettle and is "eligible for all top positions", Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said on Monday hailing Prime Minister`s statement that the Congress Vice President would be the "ideal choice" for Prime Ministership after the next Lok Sabha polls.
"Rahul Gandhi is eligible for all top positions. He has proved his mettle," Chandy told PTI on a query about the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s statement on Gandhi while returning from St Petersberg.
"There is no doubt. No one would have any doubt about his ability and competence. But it is the party leadership to decide. What the Prime Minister said was the most welcoming thing," Chandy said.
The Chief Minister was in the national capital to meet top party leaders including Congress President Sonia Gandhi`s political secretary Ahmed Patel and AICC General Secretary (in-charge Kerala) Mukul Wasnik seeking a solution to the crisis that has hit the Congress and the party-led UDF government after the exposure of the solar panel scam.
Singh had said on Saturday that he will be "very happy" to work under the leadership of Rahul Gandhi.
"I have always maintained that Rahul Gandhi would be an ideal choice for the PM post after 2014 elections (Lok Sabha). I will be very happy to work in the Congress under the leadership of Rahul Gandhi," the prime minister had told reporters accompanying him on board the special Air India aircraft on his way home after attending the G20 summit in the Russian city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf