Rahul Gandhi ideal choice for PM candidate after 2014 polls: Manmohan Singh
Zee Media Bureau/Manisha Singh
On Board PM`s Special Aircraft: Indicating that he was open to working under the leadership of Rahul Gandhi after 2014 General Elections, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said on Saturday that the Congress vice president was the right choice for PM candidate of the Congress party.
Talking to reporters he said, "I have always maintained that Rahul Gandhi would be an ideal choice for PM`s post after 2014 elections." He also added, "I will be very happy to work in the Congress under the leadership of Rahul Gandhi."
The comments were made by the PM when he was on his way home after attending the G20 summit in the Russian city of St Petersburg.
The PM was replying to questions whether it was possible for him to seek a third term, in backdrop of the fact that many in the Congress cadre want Rahul to be the face of the party in 2014.
On the other hand, speaking about the criticism from Opposition parties, the PM said that he had not prevented anyone from looking at his conduct.
Regarding terrorism and talks with Pakistan he maintained, "Have to factor in harsh ground realities like terrorism issue before a final decision is taken on meeting Pakistan PM in New York."
Reacting to PM`s statement, BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said that Manmohan Singh had not said anything new. Taking a dig at the PM he said, "It is sad that Manmohan Singh has been a Prime Minister on deputation." Naqvi also said that till now the PM was working under Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi only.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption