Rahul Gandhi is Sachin Tendulkar of Congress: Khurshid
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader and External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, Friday, welcomed the elevation of Rahul Gandhi as the head of the Congress Coordination Committee for 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
“Now it clear who our commander is, whose footsteps we have follow,” Khurshid told a news agency.
Later speaking to Zee News, the Foreign Minister asserted that Rahul Gandhi has always been the face of the Congress.
On being asked whether Rahul’s charisma has dimmed post electoral failures in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh, Khurshid stressed that his leader’s appeal is intact.
Defending Rahul’s track record, Khurshid equated politics to sports as one wins in some innings, while loses in others.
“Rahul Gandhi is Sachin Tendulkar of Congress. People of India know who is a diamond and who is khota sikka(false coin),” he added.
The Congress Coordination Committee also has senior leaders Ahmed Patel, Janardan Dwivedi, Digvijay Singh, Madhusudan Mistry and Jairam Ramesh as members.
Three Sub-Groups, including one on the key issue of pre-poll alliances - headed by senior leader A K Antony - have also been set up.
The Defence Minister is also chairing the Sub-Group on manifesto and government programmes while Digvijay Singh heads the Communication and Publicity Sub-Group.
The move to make 42-year-old Rahul Gandhi head of the Election Coordination Committee is indicative of his growing profile in the party ahead of 2014 Lok Sabha poll and is being seen as a precursor to his projection as the party`s face in the coming electoral battle.
A reshuffle of AICC secretariat is likely within a week, which could also see the announcement of some new designation for Rahul Gandhi who is already considered number 2 in the party.
With the result of the Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh assembly elections to be out by this year-end, next year will witness a series of assembly polls including in Madhya Pradesh, Chhattishgarh, Rajasthan and Delhi ahead of the Lok Sabha polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal