Rahul Gandhi may spend night in Dalit home again
Jhansi (Uttar Pradesh): Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi is likely to spend yet another night in a Dalit`s home in Jhansi district, party sources said Monday.
The Congress MP, who is scheduled to arrive here later Monday by a chartered plane, will go straight to Ghisauli village, barely 10 km from this city in the backward Bundelkhand region, the sources said.
He is to attend a programme organised by a local NGO engaged in welfare and economic upliftment of Dalits in the area.
Details of his programme were being kept secret "for security reasons", the source added. However, it is learnt that he would spend the night in a Dalit home in a particular village of the area.
Rahul`s visit is significant as it is his first after he pushed a special development package of Rs.7,000 crore for the Bundelkhand region.
But what is equally significant is that the trip coincides with the commencement of the first major movement for the long-pending demand for statehood to Bundelkhand.
Bundelkhand Mukti Morcha chief Raja Bundela had Dec 16 launched a 300-km march to press for the people`s demand for an independent state of Bundelkhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- India business confidence dips to 5 month low in May
- 'Sultan's sherni Anushka Sharma heads to Patiala for 'Phillauri' shoot! – View pic
- Good rains to damp agricultural inflation, support Aug 9 RBI rate cut: BofA
- French Open: Sania Mirza-Martina Hingis pair advance to second round
- Nextbit Robin launched in India at Rs 19,999; comes with 100GB cloud storage