Rahul Gandhi may spend night in Dalit home again
Jhansi (Uttar Pradesh): Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi is likely to spend yet another night in a Dalit`s home in Jhansi district, party sources said Monday.
The Congress MP, who is scheduled to arrive here later Monday by a chartered plane, will go straight to Ghisauli village, barely 10 km from this city in the backward Bundelkhand region, the sources said.
He is to attend a programme organised by a local NGO engaged in welfare and economic upliftment of Dalits in the area.
Details of his programme were being kept secret "for security reasons", the source added. However, it is learnt that he would spend the night in a Dalit home in a particular village of the area.
Rahul`s visit is significant as it is his first after he pushed a special development package of Rs.7,000 crore for the Bundelkhand region.
But what is equally significant is that the trip coincides with the commencement of the first major movement for the long-pending demand for statehood to Bundelkhand.
Bundelkhand Mukti Morcha chief Raja Bundela had Dec 16 launched a 300-km march to press for the people`s demand for an independent state of Bundelkhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees