Rahul Gandhi meets assaulted UP Dalit girl
New Delhi: Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi on Monday met at a hospital here a Dalit girl who was blinded by her assailants after she resisted rape in Uttar Pradesh, officials said.
Gandhi arrived at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), where the girl has been shifted for treatment, at 10.45 am and spoke to her as well as her family members.
According to official sources, Gandhi also interacted with the team of doctors treating the girl. The doctors told him that the girl has lost vision in one eye and efforts are on to improve the sight in the other.
Rahul Gandhi tried to motivate the young victim and expressed his sympathies.
The 14-year-old girl was attacked by two boys on June 14 in Gursahaiganj in Kannauj district, about 180 km from Lucknow.
The two boys, both high school students, stalked her near a field and assaulted her when she resisted rape. Her screams brought her parents to her rescue, but the boys ran away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH