Rahul Gandhi meets assaulted UP Dalit girl
New Delhi: Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi on Monday met at a hospital here a Dalit girl who was blinded by her assailants after she resisted rape in Uttar Pradesh, officials said.
Gandhi arrived at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), where the girl has been shifted for treatment, at 10.45 am and spoke to her as well as her family members.
According to official sources, Gandhi also interacted with the team of doctors treating the girl. The doctors told him that the girl has lost vision in one eye and efforts are on to improve the sight in the other.
Rahul Gandhi tried to motivate the young victim and expressed his sympathies.
The 14-year-old girl was attacked by two boys on June 14 in Gursahaiganj in Kannauj district, about 180 km from Lucknow.
The two boys, both high school students, stalked her near a field and assaulted her when she resisted rape. Her screams brought her parents to her rescue, but the boys ran away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah