Rahul Gandhi meets assaulted UP Dalit girl
New Delhi: Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi on Monday met at a hospital here a Dalit girl who was blinded by her assailants after she resisted rape in Uttar Pradesh, officials said.
Gandhi arrived at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), where the girl has been shifted for treatment, at 10.45 am and spoke to her as well as her family members.
According to official sources, Gandhi also interacted with the team of doctors treating the girl. The doctors told him that the girl has lost vision in one eye and efforts are on to improve the sight in the other.
Rahul Gandhi tried to motivate the young victim and expressed his sympathies.
The 14-year-old girl was attacked by two boys on June 14 in Gursahaiganj in Kannauj district, about 180 km from Lucknow.
The two boys, both high school students, stalked her near a field and assaulted her when she resisted rape. Her screams brought her parents to her rescue, but the boys ran away.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm
- Photo alert! Imran Khan and wife Avantika Malik party with Ranbir Kapoor