Rahul Gandhi meets PM ahead of Congress Core Group meet
New Delhi: Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, who is keen on pushing key anti-corruption bills, on Friday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh ahead of the Congress Core Group meeting.
Rahul Gandhi met the Prime Minister for about 30 minutes before the party group chaired by Congress President Sonia Gandhi with the Prime Minister by her side began deliberations at Singh`s residence.
Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal and Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions V Narayanaswamy, who are not members of the Core Group, were also called for the morning meeting.
Defence Minister A K Antony, Finance Minister P Chidambaram, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and the Congress President`s political secretary Ahmed Patel are members of this top decision making body, which is viewed as an interface between the party and the government.
The bills, which create the `framework` to tackle corruption, include the Whistleblowers` Protection Bill, Judicial Standards and Accountability Bill, a bill on citizens` charter, amendments to the Prevention of Corruption Act and the just-passed Lokpal Bill, which has received assent of the President.
The Prime Minister had last week said that it will be the "sincere effort" of the government to pass these anti-corruption measures pending in Parliament ahead of the next Lok Sabha elections so that the fight against graft can move ahead.
The Core Group meeting comes a day after a political controversy broke out over the coal block allocation issue.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory