Rahul Gandhi pays tribute to Sarabjit Singh
Bikhiwind: Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi on Friday paid rich tributes to Sarabjit Singh, who died at a Pakistani hospital following a brutal attack, here at his cremation in native village.
Rahul stayed with the aggrieved family for about half an hour and offered condolences to Dalbir Kaur, sister of Sarabjit Singh, party sources said.
The Congress leader assured full support to the family, they added.
State Congress chief Pratap Singh Bajwa, who was also present on the occasion, said that martyrdom of Sarabjit would not go waste.
He said that demise of Sarabjit Singh had jolted the whole nation.
Consoling Sarabjit`s sister, wife and daughters, Bajwa said that Pakistan had violated human rights.
Others who attended the last rites of Sarabjit included , member working committee, AICC, Gulchain Singh Charak, secretary in-charge Punjab, Harish Chaudhary, Union minister of state for External Affairs Preneet Kaur, MP Vijayinder Singla, vice president, PPCC, O P Soni and vice-chairman, SC commission, Raj Kumar Verka.
Sarabjit died of cardiac arrest in a Lahore hospital yesterday after being comatose for nearly a week following a brutal assault by fellow inmates in a high security jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Delhi horror: Pedophile held for sexually assaulting 600 girls
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre