Rahul Gandhi says Food Security Bill `historic`
New Delhi: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Friday termed Food Security Bill a "historic legislation" and asked party leaders to publicise its import to masses as they gear up for elections scheduled early next year.
In his opening remarks at a meeting of Pradesh Congress Committee presidents and Congress Legislative Party leaders here, Gandhi said it was for the first time in the history of the country that any government had passed a legislation on the people`s right to food.
Madhya Pradesh CLP leader Ajay Singh said Gandhi asked them to disseminate information among the masses about the Bill`s significance. Singh said it was wrong to link the Bill with elections.
Food Minister K V Thomas, sources said, told the gathering that a misconception existed among people that Public Distribution System would cease to exist after the Bill was implemented and asked them to dispel the notion.
The Bill would plug the leakages existing in the PDS, he said. Party spokesperson Sanjay Nirupam said Congress had promised the right to food legislation before 2009 elections and it was imperative that "we fulfill the promise before we go to people in next elections".
Asked why it took the party more than four years to fulfill its promise, he said "we had been working on it all the while".
"The whole process of drafting the Bill and consultations take time... Opposition was uncooperative and it forced us to pass an ordinance," he said.
The Bill will be taken up in Parliament in the coming monsoon session.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves