Rahul Gandhi served legal notice by AGP youth wing
Guwahati: Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi was today slapped with a legal notice by Asom Gana Parishad`s youth wing, giving him 15 days to apologise for his purported remarks that the party came to power for a second term in Assam with the support of insurgents.
The AGP youth wing President Kishore Upadhaya told PTI "If the Congress Vice President fails to apologise, we will seek a compensation of Rs 500 crore for damaging the reputation of the party whose members were involved in the six year Assam agitation against foreigners," he said.
"We have given Gandhi 15 days to respond to our notice failing which we will initiate a criminal defamation case against him," he said.
AGP President Prafulla Kumar Mahanta had also earlier stated that the party strongly condemned Gandhi`s comments and was consulting experts for taking legal action against him.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had also endorsed his statement saying that AGP had links with insurgent groups and Rahul Gandhi`s statement was correct that the party came to power in the state allegedly with ULFA`s help.
According to a WikiLeaks report published in the media last month, Gandhi had reportedly told a US diplomat in 2006 that India during his father late Rajiv Gandhi`s prime ministership (1984-1989) had given a separatist group a chance to form the government in Assam and the US should follow the same model with Hamas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray