Rahul Gandhi slams BJP, Shiv Sena over force-feeding incident
Amethi: Rahul Gandhi on Friday slammed the BJP and its ally Shiv Sena over the alleged force-feeding of a fasting Muslim employee at a Maharashtra government guesthouse in Delhi, dubbing it "politics of bullying" people.
The Congress Vice President also said the incident last week at the New Maharashtra Sadan reflected the ideology of the BJP and the Shiv Sena.
Gandhi made these remarks when asked to comment on the incident that has sparked outrage during a brief interaction with the media during his visit to his Parliamentary constituency here in Uttar Pradesh.
"It is the ideology of BJP, Shiv Sena. Politics of bullying people is what they do. This is extremely damaging to the country and this what we fight against everday," he added.
The Shiv Sena has come under fire after a party MP Rajan Vichare was caught on video footage forcing a catering superviser fasting for Ramzan to eat a chapati.
Gandhi also accused the Narendra Modi government of doing nothing to control prices, which, he said is the "main issue" now before the country.
"The universal complaint is vegetable prices are rising and the government is doing nothing," he said, adding, "the people are saying that the government in Delhi had made big promises, biggest promise was on prices".
"People are in pain because of this(rising prices). It is government`s responsibility to control prices," he added.
During his visit to villages in this constituency, Gandhi thanked people for their support in Amethi in the recent Lok Sabha elections.
Gandhi defeated his nearest rival BJP`s Smriti Irani from Amethi.
This is his second visit to Amethi after parliamentary polls in which the party managed to retain only Amethi and Rae Bareli seats in UP. Sonia Gandhi won from Rae Bareli.
Earlier, he had visited the constituency on May 21 along with sister Priyanka Gandhi.
Arriving from Lucknow by road, he drove to Babupur Sarraiya village in Jagdishpur Block, Gauri Dubey Kar Purva in Jamo Block and Bansi Thauri in Naseerabad Block.
The Congress leader promised installation of water tanks run by solar power in Babupur Sarraiya and Gauri Dubey Kar Purwa for convenience of the locals.
Gandhi also paid a visit to the house of Congress leader Jang Bahadur Singh at Gaura in Gauriganj assembly segment to condole the death of his son Daddan Singh who was killed on June 14.
He is scheduled to take part in a `roza iftar` in Salon later in the evening, besides meeting the common people in Amethi town.
He would leave for Delhi tomorrow morning after a night halt at the Munshiganj guesthouse, his representative Chandra Kant Dubey said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Afghan President calls for joint action against terrorism, condemns Istanbul attack
- West Bengal madrassa board wants vocational courses
- Rio Olympic 2016: IOA taking steps to nullify Zika virus threat on Indian contingent
- Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016: Check rajeduboard.nic.in for BSER/RBSE 8th board result 2016
- Cong MLAs, Rashid stage walkout from J&K Assembly