Rahul Gandhi steps up 2014 general elections plan
New Delhi: Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi has stepped up preparations for the general elections with a panel to explore pre-poll alliances meeting on Friday and another on coordination issues likely to meet Saturday.
Keen to return to power with the third edition of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance, the general agreement in the party is that it needs to have healthy alliances with friends and allies while reaching out to different sections of society, said party sources.
The issue of alliances was discussed at the introspection-cum-strategy session `Chintan Shivir` in Jaipur Jan 18-20 where party chief Sonia Gandhi urged the workers to respect allies but not at the expense of rejuvenating the Congress and expressed concern at the party`s eroding traditional support base.
The Congress`s Jaipur Declaration called on all secular forces to unite in its ideological battle against divisive forces.
The states where the Congress is looking for alliances in the run-up to the next Lok Sabha elections scheduled in 2014 are Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and some northeastern states.
The Congress has been out of power in major states of Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar for decades, while it broke up its alliance with the Trinamool Congress at the centre and in West Bengal last year.
Among the 12-odd states where the Congress rules, only Andhra Pradesh, Rajasthan and Assam are major. In Maharashtra, it is in an uneasy coalition with the Nationalist Congress Party.
Rahul Gandhi, who met All India Congress Committee office-bearers last week to obtain feedback on how to strengthen the organisation, will take the exercise further with a meeting of state unit chiefs and state legislative party leaders Feb 15.
He is expected to make changes in the organisation to ready a team which will have a mix of youth and experience for the 2014 polls.
Party sources said the panels on alliances and coordination have just started meeting and would have many more sessions in the future.
Among those who will assist Rahul Gandhi in the poll coordination panel are leaders Digvijaya Singh, Janardan Dwivedi, Madhusudan Mistry, Ahmed Patel and Jairam Ramesh.
Other members of the pre-poll alliances sub-group are M. Veerappa Moily, Mukul Wasnik, Suresh Pachauri, Jitendra Singh and Mohan Prakash.
Both the groups were formed days after the Congress conclave (`Samvad Baithak`) in Surjakund near here Nov 9 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in