Rahul Gandhi thanks Anna Hazare, says govt committed to Lokpal Bill
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Social activist Anna Hazare, who has been on fast since December 10, has written a letter to Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi, AICC in-charge of communication Ajay Maken said on Tuesday.
Maken said that Anna, in his letter, has appreciated Rahul Gandhi`s commitment to fight against corruption. Rahul Gandhi has replied to Anna`s letter, thanking him and mentioning that he is inspired by the social activist`s efforts to fight against corruption.
Rahul also said that his government was committed to giving the nation a strong Lokpal Bill.
"We are committed to provide a strong Lokpal system to the country," Rahul Gandhi said in the letter.
"We respect your (Anna Hazare`s) role and are grateful for your support," said Gandhi while replying to Anna`s letter that was issued on Sunday.
Anna Hazare said in his letter that he welcomed Rahul Gandhi`s comment on the Lokpal bill.
He also requested Gandhi that the recommendation of the select committed of the Rajya Sabha should be included in the Lokpal bill.
"I welcome your commitment. I request you to include the recommendation of the select committee in the bill and include any other points to make the Lokpal bill strong," Anna Hazare said.
Hailing Rahul, Maken said the Congress scion has always been committed to fight against corruption.
After several days of disruptions, Rajya Sabha will today debate and possibly pass the Lokpal Bill despite stiff opposition from the Samajwadi Party and growing support to the anti-corruption legislation from other political parties.
Rahul Gandhi has also put his stamp on the much awaited anti-graft law and appealed to others to back the legislation.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list