Rahul Gandhi to play bigger role in Congress
New Delhi: In the backdrop of persistent
reports that Rahul Gandhi may be elevated to the position of
working president of the Congress, the party gave clear
indications on Tuesday that his role would expand.
Without going into the specifics of the future position
for Rahul, already a General Secretary, Media Department chief
Janardan Dwivedi said that there was no suspense that he would
have a bigger role in the party.
"There is no suspense about it. He has a role, which is
increasing constantly. In natural course, his role will go on
increasing. This is what Congressmen want and this is what in
their opinion is natural. There is no doubt about it that
Congressmen want his role to increase," Dwivedi, who is also
General Secretary, told reporters.
The statement by Dwivedi came in the backdrop of
speculation that the young leader could be made Working
President in a month or two or it could be as early as
November 19, Indira Gandhi`s birth anniversary. One of the
media reports had also suggested Rahul could soon take over as
"Congress president Sonia Gandhi is here to lead the
party and she will decide what to do and when", he stressed.
Dwivedi, however, refused to go either into the issue of
timeline or the designation that Rahul will assume saying
"you just cannot speculate on timeline. You should consider
all other speculations as mere speculations for the time
Rahul has always been projected as future leader and
potential Prime Minister by the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened