Rahul Gandhi to visit drought-hit areas in Maha
Mumbai: Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi arrives on Friday on a two-day visit to Maharashtra during which he will visit some drought-hit regions, a party office bearer said.
He will visit some of the worst drought-hit villages in Satara district on the second day of his visit, the party official said Thursday.
Gandhi will hold separate meetings with the party`s state and district committees and Mumbai unit of the National Students Union of India, the Congress`s students wing, in a Vile Parle auditorium.
Later, he will meet the office-bearers and elected representatives of the state and Mumbai Youth Congress at the same venue.
In the afternoon, he will move towards south Mumbai and hold a meeting with district and block presidents of the Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee at the party headquarters in Tilak Bhavan, Dadar.
His final engagement Friday will be a meeting with the newly-elected members of the local self-government bodies at the Indian Gymkhana, Matunga, the office bearer said.
Some party officials, who were planning to attend one or more of the engagements of Gandhi, claimed they had no knowledge of the agenda for discussions.
All the engagements shall be closed-door meetings. The media is likely to be permitted during the visit to drought-affected regions.
This is Gandhi`s second visit to the state in the past 10 months, the previous one being in July 2011.
During his earlier visit in February 2010, Gandhi surprised Mumbaikars by travelling in a Mumbai suburban local train from Andheri to Ghatkopar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling