Rahul Gandhi `ultimate leader`: Moily
Mumbai: Describing Rahul Gandhi as "the most competent and ultimate leader" in the country, Union Oil Minister Veerappa Moily on Sunday said the Congress vice-president is "fit to be the Prime Minister".
"He is the most competent, ultimate leader, who is fit to be the Prime Minister of the country. He is the real leader of the Congress party," he told reporters at a business event here over the weekend.
Rahul was someone the country, especially the youth needed at the moment, Moily said.
"It`s the consensus of the party as well as of the country that Rahul be nominated for the top job. For a country like India, we want a personality like him, who can take everybody into confidence. He has the blessings of everybody including Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh," he said.
The Congress president had said after the Assembly election results that the party will name its candidate for PM`s post at "opportune time".
There is speculation that Rahul may be announced as its candidate for the top job at the AICC session on January 17.
When reminded about the drubbing Congress received in the Assembly polls in four states under Rahul`s stewardship, Moily said, "Congress won in Karnataka, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakahnd because of Rahul Gandhi only.
"Victories and defeats are all part of the electoral politics...Sometimes we may win, some time we may lose."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city