Rahul Gandhi will lead UPA`s election campaign for 2014: PC Chacko
New Delhi: While expressing full confidence in the leadership capabilities of AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi, Senior Congress member PC Chacko on Monday said, “Rahul will take up important party responsibility soon.”
“Gandhi will also lead Congress campaign in 2014 elections,” Chacko added.
Earlier in the day, addressing a public meeting in Vadodara, Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde had also said that while Congress is clear about the capability of Rahul Gandhi for the post of the Prime Minister, the BJP is still undecided over its candidate.
"However, BJP is undecided about its prime ministerial candidate for the 2014 General elections. BJP keeps on talking about LK Advani, Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley, Rajnath Singh and Narendra Modi for the post," he said while taking a dig on BJP.
To a specific question whether Gandhi will be projected as the prime ministerial candidate in the polls, Congress spokesperson PC Chacko said that issue will come up after the elections and it was for party MPs to decide.
He also added that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will be the helm till 2014.
"This has no relation. He is the PM. This government will continue till 2014. He is the PM till 2014," Chacko said when asked about Manmohan Singh`s fate if Rahul is to be projected in the next elections.
To a query on what will be the role Congress president Sonia Gandhi after Rahul takes up a party position, he said, "she is the president now. She will be the patron. She will be the supreme leader of the party".
Chacko added that Rahul has agreed to assume more responsibilities following "overwhelming" demand by the party men.
"The party is overwhelmingly in favour of Rahul Gandhi taking a larger responsibility. He was not very willing. Now he has agreed to it. He will lead UPA`s election campaign for 2014," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened