Rahul Gandhi will lead UPA`s election campaign for 2014: PC Chacko
New Delhi: While expressing full confidence in the leadership capabilities of AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi, Senior Congress member PC Chacko on Monday said, “Rahul will take up important party responsibility soon.”
“Gandhi will also lead Congress campaign in 2014 elections,” Chacko added.
Earlier in the day, addressing a public meeting in Vadodara, Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde had also said that while Congress is clear about the capability of Rahul Gandhi for the post of the Prime Minister, the BJP is still undecided over its candidate.
"However, BJP is undecided about its prime ministerial candidate for the 2014 General elections. BJP keeps on talking about LK Advani, Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley, Rajnath Singh and Narendra Modi for the post," he said while taking a dig on BJP.
To a specific question whether Gandhi will be projected as the prime ministerial candidate in the polls, Congress spokesperson PC Chacko said that issue will come up after the elections and it was for party MPs to decide.
He also added that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will be the helm till 2014.
"This has no relation. He is the PM. This government will continue till 2014. He is the PM till 2014," Chacko said when asked about Manmohan Singh`s fate if Rahul is to be projected in the next elections.
To a query on what will be the role Congress president Sonia Gandhi after Rahul takes up a party position, he said, "she is the president now. She will be the patron. She will be the supreme leader of the party".
Chacko added that Rahul has agreed to assume more responsibilities following "overwhelming" demand by the party men.
"The party is overwhelmingly in favour of Rahul Gandhi taking a larger responsibility. He was not very willing. Now he has agreed to it. He will lead UPA`s election campaign for 2014," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack