Rahul Gandhi will lead UPA`s election campaign for 2014: PC Chacko
New Delhi: While expressing full confidence in the leadership capabilities of AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi, Senior Congress member PC Chacko on Monday said, “Rahul will take up important party responsibility soon.”
“Gandhi will also lead Congress campaign in 2014 elections,” Chacko added.
Earlier in the day, addressing a public meeting in Vadodara, Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde had also said that while Congress is clear about the capability of Rahul Gandhi for the post of the Prime Minister, the BJP is still undecided over its candidate.
"However, BJP is undecided about its prime ministerial candidate for the 2014 General elections. BJP keeps on talking about LK Advani, Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley, Rajnath Singh and Narendra Modi for the post," he said while taking a dig on BJP.
To a specific question whether Gandhi will be projected as the prime ministerial candidate in the polls, Congress spokesperson PC Chacko said that issue will come up after the elections and it was for party MPs to decide.
He also added that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will be the helm till 2014.
"This has no relation. He is the PM. This government will continue till 2014. He is the PM till 2014," Chacko said when asked about Manmohan Singh`s fate if Rahul is to be projected in the next elections.
To a query on what will be the role Congress president Sonia Gandhi after Rahul takes up a party position, he said, "she is the president now. She will be the patron. She will be the supreme leader of the party".
Chacko added that Rahul has agreed to assume more responsibilities following "overwhelming" demand by the party men.
"The party is overwhelmingly in favour of Rahul Gandhi taking a larger responsibility. He was not very willing. Now he has agreed to it. He will lead UPA`s election campaign for 2014," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert