Rahul Gandhi won`t be PM candidate, BJP says Congress conceded defeat
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Ending all speculation, the Congress on Thursday declared that Rahul Gandhi will not be named the party`s prime ministerial candidate for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections due in May.
Congress spokesperson and senior party leader Janardhan Dwivedi told reporters after a meeting of the Congress Working Committee that Rahul will lead the party`s campaign for the upcoming General Elections.
Dwivedi quoted party president Sonia Gandhi as telling the CWC meet that there is no tradition in the Congress of anointing a PM candidate before elections.
“Everyone in the Congress Working Committee wanted Rahul Gandhi to be named PM candidate. But the Congress president intervened and said this is not the Congress tradition,” Dwivedi said.
“This meeting declared that Rahul Gandhi will lead the Congress campaign for 2014 elections,” he added.
The spokesperson further stated that Rahul said during the meeting that he is ready for whatever role the party decides for him.
Responding to a question, Dwivedi said, “Just because some party has declared its PM candidate, doesn`t mean that we will too.”
Earlier, CWC sources had categorically stated that Rahul will not be anointed as Congress` prime ministerial nominee at the AICC session being held here tomorrow.
There was speculation that a section of the Congress party was against projecting Rahul as PM candidate immediately and did not want him to be exposed to the tirade of Narendra Modi, the main opposition BJP`s PM candidate.
In contrast, Rahul had in an interview published on Tuesday indicated that he was ready for the top job.
"I am a soldier of Congress. Whatever order is given to me I will follow it. Whatever Congress says, I will follow it," Gandhi, 43, said in his rare interview with a Hindi daily.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has already ruled himself out of a third term if the ruling UPA comes back to power. He has also praised Rahul`s "outstanding credentials".
In a rare development, Rahul yesterday attended the Congress` core group meet at the Prime Minister`s residence here. The Congress core group includes the party`s senior-most leaders.
Meanwhile, reacting to the Congress announcement BJP`s Ravi Shankar Prasad said, “They know Congress won`t come to power. Therefore, they thought why declare Rahul Gandhi as a PM candidate only to let him down?”
BJP`s spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain also took a jibe on the decision and said that Congress must be desperate as all the surveys project Narendra Modi as the PM. Moreover, he said that the Congress will fight without any leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in