Rahul has to decide if he wants to become PM nominee: Khurshid
Mumbai: Even as Rahul Gandhi said that he is ready to take up any responsibility his party gives to him, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said here on Tuesday that only the Congress vice president will decide if he wants to become party`s prime ministerial candidate or not.
"Rahul Gandhi is our leader. We will wait for our leader to decide. I cannot decide for him. He can`t follow me. I have to follow him. We don`t want him to follow us," Khurshid told reporters while responding to a query whether Rahul was ready be in the race for the top post.
He was speaking on the sidelines of an event organised by All India Khilafat Committee at Byculla in the city.
"Whatever our aspirations and feelings are, we convey to our leader from time to time. It is their decision. If they announce the decision, we will follow it," the minister said.
When asked about actor Salman Khan`s remark in Gujarat earlier today that `God should decide who is the best man for the country and the best man should be the PM`, Khurshid said, "I agree that the best man should become the Prime Minister. I think he may not make it (to the top post) if he is not the best man."
In an interview to a Hindi daily, Rahul Gandhi earlier said, "I am a sepoy of Congress. I will obey whatever order is given to me. I will do whatever Congress wants me to do...Decisions are?taken in our party by senior leaders," he said.
- Next Odd-Even phase only after public consultation: Satyendar Jain
- IPL 9: Kings XI Punjab's Shaun Marsh ruled out for remainder of the tournament
- Indian Premier League 2016: Kolkata Knight Riders vs Royal Challengers Bangalore – Players to watch out for; probable playing XIs
- AIADMK protests transfers of IAS, IPS officers by Election Commission
- Body of murdered Kerala nurse arrives from Oman