Rahul has to decide if he wants to become PM nominee: Khurshid
Mumbai: Even as Rahul Gandhi said that he is ready to take up any responsibility his party gives to him, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said here on Tuesday that only the Congress vice president will decide if he wants to become party`s prime ministerial candidate or not.
"Rahul Gandhi is our leader. We will wait for our leader to decide. I cannot decide for him. He can`t follow me. I have to follow him. We don`t want him to follow us," Khurshid told reporters while responding to a query whether Rahul was ready be in the race for the top post.
He was speaking on the sidelines of an event organised by All India Khilafat Committee at Byculla in the city.
"Whatever our aspirations and feelings are, we convey to our leader from time to time. It is their decision. If they announce the decision, we will follow it," the minister said.
When asked about actor Salman Khan`s remark in Gujarat earlier today that `God should decide who is the best man for the country and the best man should be the PM`, Khurshid said, "I agree that the best man should become the Prime Minister. I think he may not make it (to the top post) if he is not the best man."
In an interview to a Hindi daily, Rahul Gandhi earlier said, "I am a sepoy of Congress. I will obey whatever order is given to me. I will do whatever Congress wants me to do...Decisions are?taken in our party by senior leaders," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM