Rahul leaves Amethi to meet Sonia
Amethi: Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi broke off his three-day trip here to travel to New Delhi to meet his mother and party president Sonia Gandhi who will file a nomination for another term in office as party chief. He will back here in the afternoon, a party spokesperson said.
Gandhi reached Amethi, his parliamentary constituency, Wednesday for a three-day trip.
"He decided to leave for New Delhi in view of the nomination process. He is expected to return here around 2 p.m.," Congress spokesperson in Uttar Pradesh Akhilesh Pratap Singh told reporters.
"Telecom expert Sam Pitroda also left Amethi along with Rahul. However, we are not sure about the return of Pitroda," he added.
"After arriving here, Rahul will continue with his inspections in the villages to evaluate the progress of central government-sponsored schemes," the spokesperson added.
According to party officials, Rahul would meet Youth Congress activists and attend public functions later in the day.
The Congress leader also said at a public function that his party was making every effort so that the poor and the downtrodden could join the mainstream.
"Rahul was of the view that owing to non-seriousness of the state government, various public welfare schemes and other projects sponsored by the central government are not being implemented properly in Uttar Pradesh," Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police