Rahul likely to attend Congress Core Group meeting
New Delhi: Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi is expected to attend the party`s core group meeting on Friday when the forum could take a concrete view on the vexed issue of Telangana statehood.
This will be the first meeting of the key decision-making body of the party which Gandhi will attend after being elevated as Congress vice president in Jaipur in January, 2013.
The Congress core group is an interface between the party and the government and is chaired by Sonia Gandhi, while Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Finance Minister P Chidamabaram, Defence Minister A K Antony and Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and the Congress President`s political secretary Ahmed Patel are its members.
The group usually meets every Friday at the Prime Minister`s official residence and formulates the party`s opinion on key issues confronting the government.
Soon after Rahul Gandhi was elevated as Vice President, there was intense speculation about the likelihood of his being made a member of the Core Group.
It is not clear whether Rahul Gandhi will be attending future meetings of the Core Group as well.
Gandhi also heads a special group set up by the party for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees