Rahul pitches for strengthening party at grassroots level
Dehradun: Congress Vice-president Rahul Gandhi, who is on his maiden visit to the state post his elevation, on Friday pitched for strengthening the party at the grass-roots level.
Rahul, who held closed-door meetings with state Congress leaders, pitched for delegating more powers to organisational units at block and district levels.
The Congress leader also underscored the need for defining the role of party office bearers at block and district levels.
The Amethi MP, who was on a stock-taking mission to the state, met party office bearers and leaders in separate sessions.
Fresh from holding a second round of consultations with AICC office-bearers in Delhi, Rahul headed straight to a hotel here after landing in the morning at Jollygrant airport and was closeted with party functionaries for over about two hours before lunch.
He met party MLAs, district and block level heads, NSUI and PCC office bearers before leaving for New Delhi in the evening.
Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna, Congress MPs Satpal Maharaj, Pradeep Tamta, Union Minister Harish Rawat, state Congress chief Yashpal Arya and vice-president Suryakant Dhasmana were present with Rahul as he met party workers.
Tight security arrangements were put in place in the city in view of the Congress Vice President`s visit, especially around Rajpur Road where he held meetings with the party leaders at a hotel.
Rahul`s visit is being seen as an exercise to prepare Congress for the forthcoming civic body polls in the state and the 2014 general elections.
Rahul had decided to have interactions with state-level leaders beginning with a two-day visit to Odisha last month, where he had sought feedback from grassroots workers in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey