Rahul questions NREGA`s implementation in Naxal-affected areas
New Delhi: Faced with complaints that
benefits of NREGA were not reaching intended persons, Rahul
Gandhi on Thursday questioned claims by the Rural Development
ministry that the flagship programme was doing fairly well in
Naxal-affected districts as compared to rest of the areas.
"Can you say it confidently"? He told the top ministry
officials at the Parliamentary Consultative Committee to
discuss the programme, according to the members present in
Gandhi`s reaction came after the ministry informed him
that NREGA was doing fairly well in Naxal-affected districts
as compared to rest of the areas of a particular state.
Giving the details, Secretary of the ministry Reeta
Sharma said government data available from 33 Naxal-affected
areas showed that NREGA was doing fairly well in those areas
as compared to those not affected.
"We are relying on data provided by states," she said
when Gandhi asked if any study has been done on the issue.
During the meeting, Gandhi also sought to know whether
the rise in prices of essential commodities have had any
impact on NREGA workers, sources said.
The ministry informed him that it has initiated a study
to assess the impact of price rise on NREGA workers, they
The meeting, which was attended by 17 members of
Consultative committee, was chaired by Rural Development
Minister C P Joshi. Minister of State for Rural Development
Agatha Sangama was also present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’