Rahul should stop blaming others for plight of Dalits: BJP
New Delhi: BJP Wednesday attacked Rahul Gandhi and Congress on the problems being faced by Dalits and Muslims, alleging that it is responsible for their plight as it ruled the country for most of the years since Independence and should stop passing the blame on others.
"The country has been ruled for 57 of the 67 years since Independence by Congress and your family. You need to answer for all this. 40 per cent of the people in the country are illiterate...
"Who is responsible? You have been ruling most of the time. You are now talking about Dalits and Muslims being neglected," BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu said.
He was replying to a question, posed at a press conference here, on the concern expressed by Rahul Gandhi at the poor state of Dalits in the country.
"The (Congress) Vice President goes to Uttar Pradesh and says Dalits are being neglected and have to come up. Who ruled? Your family ruled and now instead of taking responsibility and apologising you are criticising others. One day you criticise Mayawati, one day BJP and then somebody else," Naidu said.
The senior BJP leader also dismissed Gandhi`s claim that Congress will win the 2014 elections as the people are supporting a young leadership.
"If he is having day dreams, good luck to him....If there is any younger leader he should tell us. Under no circumstances will Congress get more than 100 seats. Everybody knows it will remain in double digits," Naidu said.
Meanwhile, Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj took on Gandhi for his remarks that the opposition had opposed the Land Acquisition Bill in Parliament.
She referred to the remarks of Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh in Lok Sabha on August 29 in which he had said, "I would like to convey my special thanks to the Leader of the Opposition because in the two all-party meetings, it appeared that we will not be able to move any further. But she found the solution and we are discussing the Bill in the House today."
Swaraj said on Twitter, "Mr Rahul Gandhi, please have courage and speak the truth."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what