Rahul to unfurl the tri-colour at Cong HQ?
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi, who is part of a
committee set up by Sonia Gandhi to oversee party affairs in
her absence, will take part in the national flag hoisting
ceremony at the Congress headquarters here on August 15.
The AICC general secretary, who is currently in the US by
the side of his mother, will be back here before Independence
Day to take part in the celebrations.
The Congress President is in a US Hospital recuperating
after a surgery with a senior party leader, who declined to be
identified saying that "her recovery was normal and the
doctors find it on expected lines".
Rahul Gandhi, is one of the four members of the committee
set up by the AICC president to oversee party work in her
absence. The other three are A K Antony, Ahmed Patel and
Congress sources said senior party leaders will request
Rahul to unfurl the national flag but in case he declines,
the seniormost leader in the AICC Motilal Vohra could be asked
to do it.
Sources that on a previous occassion also, Vora had
unfurled national flag at the AICC headquarters on January 26,
last year when Gandhi was not well.
Rahul Gandhi will also be attending the August 20
function here to give away the Rajiv Gandhi National
The 19th edition of the award this year goes to
SPICMACAY, an institution working for the promotion of Indian
classical music and culture among the youth.
Sources in the party said Telugu film star Chiranjeevi,
who merged his party Praja Rajyam with the Congress, will also
be coming to the national capital to take party membership
formally at the AICC headquarters where Rahul Gandhi is
expected to be present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers