Rahul trashes ordinance: What forced him to create a scene?
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi on Friday rejected it, ordinance on convicted lawmakers, and termed it as `nonsense` negating the Supreme Court verdict. After the government had sent the ordinance to President Pranab Mukherjee for his assent, Rahul on Friday appeared before the press in a hurry and created a scene.
Also, what`s interesting is that the Congress vice president chose to voice his opposition to the ordinance at a time when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was out of the country. Rahul`s statement surely left the Manmohan`s position undermined. Though, he assured the prime minister that it was not his intention.
In the letter to the Prime Minister, Rahul Gandhi wrote: "I realize that what I feel about the Ordinance is not in harmony with the Cabinet decision and the Core Group`s view. I also know it would be exploited by our political opponents. You know that I have the highest respect for you and I look up to you for your wisdom. I have nothing but the greatest admiration for the manner in which you are providing leadership in extremely difficult circumstances. I hope you will understand the strength of my own conviction about this very controversial issue."
So what prompted Rahul to stun the audience at the press meet and cause a major embarrassment to the Congress-led UPA II Government? And where was he the Core Committee gave the go ahead?
Perhaps, Rahul drew a conclusion that President Pranab Mukherjee might not give his assent to the ordinance on convicted lawmakers. Anyhow, his dramatic intervention has set many wondering what course of action the prime minister will take.
Now, the speculations are high that the government may take back the controversial measure while maintaining the dignity of the prime minister.
The ordinance seeks to reverse the Supreme Court judgement that had not only disqualified lawmakers convicted of offences with two years or more in jail, but also barred from contesting elections.
Rahul Gandhi who speaks very little, yesterday said too much.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly