Rahul warns party workers against groupism
Amethi: With last year`s drubbing of Congress in Gandhi bastions Amethi and Rae Bareli fresh in mind, party vice-president Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday warned party workers against factionalism, saying it led to the poor show in the Assembly polls.
Rahul asked the party workers to maintain unity and prepare for the Lok Sabha polls, as "groupism resulted in a poor showing in the last Assembly polls" in Uttar Pradesh.
On the second day of his visit to Amethi, Rahul interacted with PCC members and told them that during the last UP polls "preparations in the party started late, and also, time was lost in groupism, which resulted in party`s poor showing."
In 2012 Assembly elections, Congress managed to win only two of the 10 seats in Amethi and Rae Bareli in central Uttar Pradesh.
Rahul asked the office bearers to work with team spirit and warned that groupism only weakens the organisation, party sources said.
He stressed that the workers, who have become detached or have parted ways because of any reason, should be brought back into the party`s fold.
The Congress leader said that UPA government has launched several welfare schemes like MNREGS, Rajiv Gandhi Rural Electrification and RTI among others and it has to be seen as to how the common people are apprised of their benefits in a forceful manner by the PCC members.
Expressing concern over corruption in the mid-day meal scheme and public distribution system, Rahul said that all would have to come forward to check it as the governments alone would not be able to do much.
Earlier, Rahul and his sister Priyanka Gandhi who had accompanied him to his Parliamentary constituency yesterday, interviewed the shortlisted candidates for the posts of seven block and five city units.
The final results of these interviews, which lasted for two days, are expected in a week`s time.
Priyanka later left for New Delhi while Rahul is scheduled to leave tomorrow after attending a programme of CRPF in Ramganj Trisudi, in which Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde will also remain present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state