Rahul`s Kashmir visit shows discrimination against Jammu: BJP
New Delhi: Consultations will be initiated by Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal over the issue of timing of the Winter Session of Parliament in view of Himachal Pradesh and Gujarat Assembly elections being held from November 4 to December 17.
Bansal said he would hold informal consultations within the government and with various political parties on the issue.
Asked if the session would be advanced or put off till January, Bansal said he would not be able to say anything on the timing till the consultations are over and the Cabinet Committee on Political Affairs (CCPA) formally takes a decision.
Generally the Winter Session is held in the third week of November and continues till the third week of December.
While Himachal Pradesh goes to polls on November 4, elections in Gujarat will be held in two phases on December 13 and 17 and the counting in both the states will be held on December 20.
The Winter Session is considered significant as Trinamool Congress Chief Mamata Banerjee, after moving out of UPA, is threatening to bring a no-confidence motion against the Congress-led government at the Centre.
The Session also attains significance due to the response of various political parties to the recent big ticket reforms initiated by the government, including FDI in pension sector and raising the FDI limit in insurance sector.
The government is facing resistance from some of its present and former allies and the Opposition over its FDI decisions and other economic reform measures. The response of BJP, which boycotted almost the entire last session, is also eagerly awaited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy