Rahul`s `nonsense` remark, J&K attack - A bad weekend for PM
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
New Delhi: It was his birthday, but Manmohan Singh cancelled it on getting to know about the terror attacks that took place in Jammu on the police and army this week that left 12 people dead.
The prime minister was in Frankfurt on his way to Washington where he is due to meet his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif when the opposition parties voiced their anger over his dialogue with Sharif.
Manmohan has earlier been also targetted and criticised for having a soft stance towards Pakistan on the issue of terrorism and the Pakistan-sponsored attacks on Indian soil.
And it was the same criticism that he face again with political parties urging him to not hold any talks with Sharif. BJP`s PM candidate for the 2014 General Elections, Narendra Modi, pounced on the situation while attacking the PM and asking, "Is this the time for the PM to be in a hurry to talk to Pakistan?"
The things just got worst from there on, as come this Friday when Manmohan reached Washington to address the UN General Assembly, the news came in that Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi has rejected the ordinance on convicted lawmakers leaving his position undermined.
The decree passed by the government seeking to overturn a Supreme Court decision that lawmakers should be barred from contesting elections if they are convicted of criminal cases was widely believed to have been steered by Singh.
With Rahul`s outburst against the ordinance, grew the demands for the PM`s resignation. However, both Rahul and UPA chairperson Sonia assured Manmohan of the party`s full support.
But things are not looking to get any better for the PM once he returns from the US as Rahul`s public statement has caused political tremors and made it uncertain whether he can remain in office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!