Rahul`s `nonsense` remark, J&K attack - A bad weekend for PM
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
New Delhi: It was his birthday, but Manmohan Singh cancelled it on getting to know about the terror attacks that took place in Jammu on the police and army this week that left 12 people dead.
The prime minister was in Frankfurt on his way to Washington where he is due to meet his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif when the opposition parties voiced their anger over his dialogue with Sharif.
Manmohan has earlier been also targetted and criticised for having a soft stance towards Pakistan on the issue of terrorism and the Pakistan-sponsored attacks on Indian soil.
And it was the same criticism that he face again with political parties urging him to not hold any talks with Sharif. BJP`s PM candidate for the 2014 General Elections, Narendra Modi, pounced on the situation while attacking the PM and asking, "Is this the time for the PM to be in a hurry to talk to Pakistan?"
The things just got worst from there on, as come this Friday when Manmohan reached Washington to address the UN General Assembly, the news came in that Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi has rejected the ordinance on convicted lawmakers leaving his position undermined.
The decree passed by the government seeking to overturn a Supreme Court decision that lawmakers should be barred from contesting elections if they are convicted of criminal cases was widely believed to have been steered by Singh.
With Rahul`s outburst against the ordinance, grew the demands for the PM`s resignation. However, both Rahul and UPA chairperson Sonia assured Manmohan of the party`s full support.
But things are not looking to get any better for the PM once he returns from the US as Rahul`s public statement has caused political tremors and made it uncertain whether he can remain in office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?