Rahul`s `nonsense` remark, J&K attack - A bad weekend for PM
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
New Delhi: It was his birthday, but Manmohan Singh cancelled it on getting to know about the terror attacks that took place in Jammu on the police and army this week that left 12 people dead.
The prime minister was in Frankfurt on his way to Washington where he is due to meet his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif when the opposition parties voiced their anger over his dialogue with Sharif.
Manmohan has earlier been also targetted and criticised for having a soft stance towards Pakistan on the issue of terrorism and the Pakistan-sponsored attacks on Indian soil.
And it was the same criticism that he face again with political parties urging him to not hold any talks with Sharif. BJP`s PM candidate for the 2014 General Elections, Narendra Modi, pounced on the situation while attacking the PM and asking, "Is this the time for the PM to be in a hurry to talk to Pakistan?"
The things just got worst from there on, as come this Friday when Manmohan reached Washington to address the UN General Assembly, the news came in that Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi has rejected the ordinance on convicted lawmakers leaving his position undermined.
The decree passed by the government seeking to overturn a Supreme Court decision that lawmakers should be barred from contesting elections if they are convicted of criminal cases was widely believed to have been steered by Singh.
With Rahul`s outburst against the ordinance, grew the demands for the PM`s resignation. However, both Rahul and UPA chairperson Sonia assured Manmohan of the party`s full support.
But things are not looking to get any better for the PM once he returns from the US as Rahul`s public statement has caused political tremors and made it uncertain whether he can remain in office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla