Rahul`s padayatra energised democracy: Khurshid
New Delhi: Terming the spat between Rahul Gandhi and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati as "part of democracy", Minority Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid on Friday said the Congress leader`s movement has "energised" the functioning of democracy.
"It is part of democracy. He (Gandhi) likes to speak with his actions, she (Mayawati) likes to speak with her words. It is (for) you to decide whether you prefer action or words," Khurshid told reporters here.
Describing Rahul`s padayatra as a "Gandhian movement", Khurshid said, "A new energy has come, not only to the Congress, but people`s belief in democratic functioning has
increased because of this Gandhian movement by Rahul. I welcome this."
On why no prominent Congress leader has not participated in Gandhi`s padayatra, Khurshid said: "It is a message that he (Rahul) has given to us, that we should show our face less and do more work.
"I welcome this message. But we all have to be present there (in Aligarh) tomorrow. The padayatra he wants to do on his own, but he wants obviously as show of strength for us to
be present tomorrow," Khurshid said.
On Gandhi`s statement that Uttar Pradesh is run by "dalals" (middlemen), Khurshid said anyone who knows the state will not disagree with his remarks.
"I think the word he wanted to convey is, that there are agents who are intermediaries between government and the beneficiaries are citizens of Uttar Pradesh. I don`t think any one who knows Uttar Pradesh a little bit will even mildly disagree with what has been said," Kurshid said.
"This is a warning to the UP government to put its act right, if it does not want to, then it will face the consequences in the election," Khurshid said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia