‘Rahul`s proposal on Lokpal a delaying tactic’
Madurai: The Communist Party of India
(Marxist) Polit Bureau Member Brinda Karat on Saturday described
Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi`s proposal to make the
Lokpal a constitutional body as "yet another shield" for not
taking any action on the demand for the Bill.
Karat said she was "surprised by the sudden proposal" of
Gandhi, and wondered "what Rahul Gandhi was doing with (his)
proposal from April till August".
"The proposal had come too late and is yet another
delaying tactic. There was no relevance in the proposal," she
told reporters here.
Karat was here to visit a village in the district where
alleged sexual abuse of girl children in a Government High
School had been reported.
Karat said she had also been surprised Gandhi`s proposal
had been made during Zero Hour. "What was so significant about
it to make a mention about it in the Zero Hour?," she asked.
Regretting that the debate over the Lokpal Bill did not
take place yesterday, she said the "ineptitude of the
government on Lokpal Bill is exposed now".
Referring to opposition from members of the local
population for the setting up of the Koodankulam Nuclear Power
project in Tirunelveli district, Karat said as far as CPI(M)
was concerned, all the Nuclear Plant programmes should be put
Japan`s bitter experience had given rise to many safety
concerns, she said, adding wherever people opposed nuclear
plants, her party supported them.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India