‘Rahul`s proposal on Lokpal a delaying tactic’
Madurai: The Communist Party of India
(Marxist) Polit Bureau Member Brinda Karat on Saturday described
Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi`s proposal to make the
Lokpal a constitutional body as "yet another shield" for not
taking any action on the demand for the Bill.
Karat said she was "surprised by the sudden proposal" of
Gandhi, and wondered "what Rahul Gandhi was doing with (his)
proposal from April till August".
"The proposal had come too late and is yet another
delaying tactic. There was no relevance in the proposal," she
told reporters here.
Karat was here to visit a village in the district where
alleged sexual abuse of girl children in a Government High
School had been reported.
Karat said she had also been surprised Gandhi`s proposal
had been made during Zero Hour. "What was so significant about
it to make a mention about it in the Zero Hour?," she asked.
Regretting that the debate over the Lokpal Bill did not
take place yesterday, she said the "ineptitude of the
government on Lokpal Bill is exposed now".
Referring to opposition from members of the local
population for the setting up of the Koodankulam Nuclear Power
project in Tirunelveli district, Karat said as far as CPI(M)
was concerned, all the Nuclear Plant programmes should be put
Japan`s bitter experience had given rise to many safety
concerns, she said, adding wherever people opposed nuclear
plants, her party supported them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof