Rahul’s Youth Congress experiment failing?
New Delhi: In what is being construed as a setback for Rahul Gandhi, the Indian Youth Congress (IYC) membership drive has witnessed a huge dip in membership in recent times.
According to a newspaper report, Wednesday, Youth Congress membership drive numbers have dipped by as much as one-third in Gujarat and one-tenth in Jharkhand and Tamil Nadu.
While over seven lakh members had enrolled with the IYC in Gujarat in 2010, only about 2.5 lakh did so in the recent drive.
Also, YC is staring at a similar predicament in Uttar Pradesh where Akhilesh Yadav has emerged as an icon, the report further said.
Rahul Gandhi had taken over the reins of the youth organisation and had promised to turn it around by making it an instrument to bring a change in the culture of politics.
However, the Gandhi scion could only achieve limited success.
“Our problem is that youth had joined the Youth Congress in the hope that Rahulji would fulfill all their dreams. They were not driven by idealism and their disenchantment was only expected,” a senior IYC functionary was quoted as saying by the newspaper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested