Rahul’s Youth Congress experiment failing?
New Delhi: In what is being construed as a setback for Rahul Gandhi, the Indian Youth Congress (IYC) membership drive has witnessed a huge dip in membership in recent times.
According to a newspaper report, Wednesday, Youth Congress membership drive numbers have dipped by as much as one-third in Gujarat and one-tenth in Jharkhand and Tamil Nadu.
While over seven lakh members had enrolled with the IYC in Gujarat in 2010, only about 2.5 lakh did so in the recent drive.
Also, YC is staring at a similar predicament in Uttar Pradesh where Akhilesh Yadav has emerged as an icon, the report further said.
Rahul Gandhi had taken over the reins of the youth organisation and had promised to turn it around by making it an instrument to bring a change in the culture of politics.
However, the Gandhi scion could only achieve limited success.
“Our problem is that youth had joined the Youth Congress in the hope that Rahulji would fulfill all their dreams. They were not driven by idealism and their disenchantment was only expected,” a senior IYC functionary was quoted as saying by the newspaper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak