Rahul’s Youth Congress experiment failing?
New Delhi: In what is being construed as a setback for Rahul Gandhi, the Indian Youth Congress (IYC) membership drive has witnessed a huge dip in membership in recent times.
According to a newspaper report, Wednesday, Youth Congress membership drive numbers have dipped by as much as one-third in Gujarat and one-tenth in Jharkhand and Tamil Nadu.
While over seven lakh members had enrolled with the IYC in Gujarat in 2010, only about 2.5 lakh did so in the recent drive.
Also, YC is staring at a similar predicament in Uttar Pradesh where Akhilesh Yadav has emerged as an icon, the report further said.
Rahul Gandhi had taken over the reins of the youth organisation and had promised to turn it around by making it an instrument to bring a change in the culture of politics.
However, the Gandhi scion could only achieve limited success.
“Our problem is that youth had joined the Youth Congress in the hope that Rahulji would fulfill all their dreams. They were not driven by idealism and their disenchantment was only expected,” a senior IYC functionary was quoted as saying by the newspaper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America