Rahul’s Youth Congress experiment failing?
New Delhi: In what is being construed as a setback for Rahul Gandhi, the Indian Youth Congress (IYC) membership drive has witnessed a huge dip in membership in recent times.
According to a newspaper report, Wednesday, Youth Congress membership drive numbers have dipped by as much as one-third in Gujarat and one-tenth in Jharkhand and Tamil Nadu.
While over seven lakh members had enrolled with the IYC in Gujarat in 2010, only about 2.5 lakh did so in the recent drive.
Also, YC is staring at a similar predicament in Uttar Pradesh where Akhilesh Yadav has emerged as an icon, the report further said.
Rahul Gandhi had taken over the reins of the youth organisation and had promised to turn it around by making it an instrument to bring a change in the culture of politics.
However, the Gandhi scion could only achieve limited success.
“Our problem is that youth had joined the Youth Congress in the hope that Rahulji would fulfill all their dreams. They were not driven by idealism and their disenchantment was only expected,” a senior IYC functionary was quoted as saying by the newspaper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason