Rail budget an `empty box`: Nitish
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Wednesday expressed disappointment with the Railway Budget calling it an "empty box".
"There is nothing in the Rail Budget worth commenting on ... The issue of railway safety has been spoken in future tense and the speech by Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi merely speaks about safety measures to be taken in future," he told reporters here.
Kumar, himself a Railway Minister during the NDA rule, recalled that the ministry during his tenure had set up a corporate safety fund and a corporate safety plan for a ten-year period of 2003-13.
"The incumbent railway minister (Lalu Prasad) chose to keep quite on the corporate safety plan because the UPA government at the Centre did not pay attention to the safety issue, as a result of which the number of railway accidents have increased over the years.
"The UPA government did not care for railway safety for the better part of its term. But as it comes near the end of its term it has again started talking about safety measures, but in future tense," he said.
He said the railway budget presented today "simply does not give hope for improvement to the commuters".
"The fact that the Railway Minister spoke for nearly two hours on the 2012-13 railway budget was an indication that he did not propose to do much on the ground," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez