Railway bribery case: Alleged conduit gets bail
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Monday granted bail to one of the alleged middlemen in the Rs 10-crore Railway bribery case while reserving its order on the bail plea of Vijay Singla, nephew of former Railway Minister Pawan Bansal.
Special CBI Judge Swarana Kanta Sharma granted bail to Ajay Garg, an alleged conduit who was instrumental in fixing the bribe amount for getting a favourable post for the then Member (Staff) of Railway Board Mahesh Kumar who is also an accused in the case.
While directing Garg to furnish a personal bond of Rs 5 lakh and two sureties of like amount, the judge in her order said that "at this stage it was not clear whether he would have benefitted in case accused Mahesh Kumar would have got the posting of his choice."
The court also said that he should not delay proceedings by filing frivolous applications or seeking unnecessary adjournments during the hearing, which may lead to cancellation of his bail and also directed him not to leave the country or influence the witnesses.
Earlier during the day, the court heard the arguments on bail on behalf of Singla.
Singla`s counsel said the alleged bribe money recovered by CBI was a part of a business transaction.
He also submitted that CBI is relying on some intercepted conversations but since the same has been procured illegally, "recovery of money from me cannot be declared illegal gratification only on basis of the telephonic converation the permission to intercept which was itself obtained illegally".
CBI rebutted his argument saying the conversations have not been intercepted illegally.
The court also heard the arguments on the bail plea of another alleged middleman Sandeep Goyal who said even Bansal has in his statement to CBI refused to identify him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack