Railway bribery case: CBI arrests two delivery boys
New Delhi: CBI on Saturday arrested two courier boys, who allegedly delivered Rs 90 lakh cash as bribe to the nephew of Railway Minister PK Bansal, for fixing the promotion of a Railway Board member.
With the arrest of two delivery boys, the total number of arrests by the agency in the bribery scandal have risen to six which also include -- Singla, Railway Board Member (Staff) Mahesh Kumar, middlemen Sandip Goyal and Manjunath.
All the accused are being brought here and would be produced before the Patiala House court. The agency would seek their remand for questioning at the headquarters.
CBI sources said crucial documents related to various railway projects besides records of Board discussions are among some seizures made from the residence of Mahesh Kumar, a 1975 batch Indian Railway Engineering Services, in Mumbai.
Senior officials said that bribe of Rs 90 lakh was a part payment for Rs two crore bribe allegedly agreed upon between Singla and Kumar for the lucrative posting of Member (Electrical) which is crucial for passing tenders of over Rs 2000 crore worth of Railway projects in the coming future.
Singla, who is a close aide of Bansal and was regularly seen in election campaigning alongside, had allegedly demanded Rs 10 crore for getting Kumar posted as Member (Electrical) which is considered next to Railway Board Chairman in hierarchy, the sources said.
The agency, which has received a tip-off about the alleged deal, had kept Singla and Kumar`s phones on surveillance and were keeping a tab on all their movements, the sources said.
The sources said initially Singla had allegedly demanded Rs 10 crore of bribe but after negotiations, a sum of Rs two crore was agreed upon between the two.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof