Railway bribery scam: CBI may not file chargesheet by July 3
New Delhi: In the absence of sanction for prosecution against a Railway board member, CBI`s chargesheet in the railway bribery scam, which cost Congress MP Pawan Kumar Bansal his job as Railway Minister, may not be filed within stipulated time till July 03.
This may pave way for automatic bail for the 10 accused arrested in the case in the absence of the chargesheet within mandatory period of 60 days from the day of the arrest.
Talking to reporters on the sidelines of a function here, CBI director Ranjit Sinha today said, "We will try to file the chargesheet. Our probe is still on."
The CBI director was replying to a question whether the agency would comply with the procedures which stipulate filing of the chargesheet within 60 days of the arrest of the accused.
Bansal had to quit from the post of Railway Minister when his nephew Vijay Singla was arrested for allegedly receiving bribe money from conduit of Railway Board Member (Staff) Mahesh Kumar on May 03. Singla and Kumar were booked as main conspirators in the bribery case.
The CBI had approached the Railway Ministry for granting sanction for prosecution against Kumar, a 1975 batch of Indian Railway Service of Signal Engineers (IRSSE), which was still awaited, official sources said.
During the investigations so far, the CBI has questioned Bansal and arrested as many as 10 people including Bansal`s nephew and the railway board member.
The case relates to alleged aspirations of Kumar for his elevation as Member (Electrical) in Railway Board for which he allegedly contacted Sandeep Goyal, a close associate of Singla. Goyal allegedly demanded Rs 10 crore for it.
Kumar was promoted from General Manager (West) to Member (Staff) in Railway Board, a post which he was apparently not very interested in. He then allegedly asked Goyal to help him retain the additional charge of General Manager (West) for which the middleman demanded Rs two crore as immediate payment.
The CBI alleged that a part payment of Rs 90 lakh was delivered to Singla after which it carried out searches at their premises and recovered the bribe amount.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo