Railway bribery scam: HC grants bail to Singla, three others
New Delhi: Delhi High Court on Friday granted bail to Vijay Singla, nephew of former Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal, and three others in the Rs 10 crore railway bribery case.
Besides Singla, Justice Hima Kohli allowed bail pleas of now suspended Railway Board member Mahesh Kumar, businessman Narayan Rao Manjunath and alleged middleman Sandeep Goyal and asked each of them to furnish a personal bond of Rs 5 lakh and two sureties of like amount.
"The applicants are enlarged on bail," Justice Kohli said directing them to furnish the personal bond and sureties to the satisfaction of the Special Judge hearing the case.
After the court pronounced the order, the counsel for accused persons told the court that the presiding judge is not holding the court for today and next two days and high court should direct any other judge to accept the personal bonds and the sureties to be furnished by them.
Justice Kohli allowed their submissions saying, "The district Judge or concerned Additional Sessions Judge can accept the personal bond and the sureties of the accused persons."
The four accused persons had moved the high court seeking bail after the trial court on July 12 had rejected their plea.
The CBI had opposed their bail pleas and that of Singla, saying he is the "main person" whose influence was to be used for the appointment of Kumar and can influence the witness while the trial court is yet to frame charges.
The probe agency had said Singla was caught along with other accused who were the `main conspirators` and the offence committed by them was of a "grave nature".
All the four accused persons have been charge sheeted by CBI for the offence of criminal conspiracy under the IPC and relevant provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal