Railway bribery scam: Mahesh Kumar in CBI custody for 3 days
New Delhi: Mahesh Kumar, Member (Staff) Railway Board, arrested for his alleged role in the Rs 10 crore bribery case in which Union Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal`s nephew is also an accused, was on Monday remanded to three-day CBI custody by a Delhi court.
Kumar was produced before Special CBI Judge Swarana Kanta Sharma who remanded him to CBI custody till May 9 after the agency said he is the main accused in the case and his custodial interrogation was required to unearth the entire conspiracy.
The CBI had sought five-day police custody of Kumar, saying he is the one for whom the entire arrangement was being made.
Besides Kumar, CBI has arrested Bansal`s nephew Vijay Singla and six others for their alleged roles in the bribery case, in which a deal of Rs 10 crore was finalised between them for fixing a top-level position for Kumar in the Railway Board.
"The invesigation is at an initial stage and Mahesh Kumar is evasive in his answers and is not cooperating. He is not giving us proper replies to the questions being asked," CBI prosecutor Akshay Gautam told the court.
CBI also said they have to arrest two more accused in the case.
Kumar was arrested from Mumbai and was brought here on transit remand.
Kumar, who was GM (West) Railways, had been recently promoted as Member (Staff) in Railway Board and was allegedly trying to get himself posted as Member (Electrical).
The CBI`s plea for Kumar`s custody remand was opposed by
his counsel who said he is fully cooperating with the agency and if he is being asked about something which he does not know, how will he answer it.
The counsel also said 58-year-old Kumar is sick and is suffering from chronic diseases like hypertension and high cholesterol.
He also said that Kumar is in custody since last three days and court should not grant further CBI custody.
The defence counsel also prayed for home-cooked food for Kumar but the prayer was not granted by the court.
The court said, "Law does not permit for home cooked food when the accused is in police custody. We (court or CBI) cannot taste the food every time and what if something happens to him in police custody after consuming that food.
"Then the blame would be put on the CBI," the judge said, adding that she will ask the CBI to provide him boiled food as per his medical requirements.
The court had on May 4 remanded Singla and three others, Sandip Goyal, Dharmendra Kumar and Vivek Kumar, to CBI custody till May 7 after the agency said it was necessary to find out the "actual beneficiaries" and other conspirators who were involved in the bribery case.
Other three accused -- Narain Rao Manjunath, Managing Director of G G Tronics India Pvt Ltd and two others ?- Samir Sandhir and Rahul Yadav -- were also remanded in CBI custody till May 7.
The agency had said that it had received information that Manjunath was in regular contact with accused Mahesh Kumar who was trying to get himself appointed to a more lucrative post in Railway Board as Member (Electrical).
CBI had said Manjunath and Mahesh Kumar were also in
regular touch with businessman Goyal for this purpose. Goyal had assured Kumar that he will get him posted as Member (Electrical) in Railway Board in exchange for "pecuniary gratification."
CBI has named eight accused persons in the FIR for the offences under the Prevention of Corruption Act and for criminal conspiracy under the IPC.
Manjunath was arrested from Bangalore and according to CBI, he was the "main financier". Rahul and Samir were arrested from Delhi.
Regarding the conspiracy, CBI had said that out of the total deal amount of Rs 10 crore, a part payment was made of of Rs 90 lakh which was allegedly managed by accused Vivek Kumar.
The CBI is interrogating the accused persons to find out the source of bribe amount and also from where did Singla get Rs 89.68 lakh, which has been recovered.
The agency had said the first tranche of Rs 90 lakh was given to Singla who was apprehended while accepting the money.
It had said Goyal had informed Mahesh Kumar and Manjunath that the present Chairman of Railway Board was to retire in June this year and then the present Member (Electrical) Kulbhushan will be posted as Chairman of the Board.
Goyal had said he would then manage to get Mahesh Kumar appointed as Member (Electrical) through "his contacts in the Railway Ministry" and had demanded Rs 10 crore for this work, it had said.
The agency had also said it was decided among the accused that Rs five crore will be paid before appointment and the rest of the money will be paid after the Mahesh Kumar`s appointment as Member (Electrical).
It had said Kumar had decided to take Rs two crore from Manjunath and other businessmen for making payment to Goyal with a promise that he will help them in future since they were dealing with Railways as suppliers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM