Railway budget a loot: Ram Naik
Mumbai: Former Union Minister and senior BJP
leader Ram Naik on Wednesday termed the railway budget as a "loot".
Criticising the budget presented by Railway Minister
Dinesh Trivedi, Naik said, "Though the Railway Minister has
tried to tone down the increase in fares by saying it is just
2 paisa per km, the reality is harsh. The commuter in Mumbai
will have to pay Rs 2.40 daily and Rs 48 monthly for
commuting between Virar to Churchgate."
"This hike is too much," he added.
Drawing attention to the fact that speed of rakes on the
Western Railway has increased from 80 to 100 km per hour due
to AC to DC conversion, he said, "25 per cent increase in
number of services was possible due to this conversion."
"On the national level also this budget gave nothing but
the fare hike," Naik said.
Leader of Opposition in Maharashtra Legislative Council
and BJP leader Vinod Tawade said that the Mumbaikars had got
nothing from the railway budget.
"Konkan Railway passengers had some expectations which
were belied," he said.
BJP`s deputy leader in Lok Sabha, Gopinath Munde, said
the UPA, which came to power in the name of `Aam Aadmi`, had
inflicted burden on the common man.
"Few days back freight rates were hiked and now the
passenger fares have been hiked. With this, the inflation will
rise," Munde said.
Maharashtra state BJP president Sudhir Mungantiwar said
the Railway budget "disappointed" the common man.
"No major demands of Vidarbha and Maharashtra have been
accepted. No extra facility or new trains have been
introduced," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you