Railway Budget a mixed bag: DMK
Chennai: Maintaining that the Railway Budget is a mixed bag with both `joy and disappointment,` key UPA ally DMK on Wednesday said proposals to hike freight tariff and Tatkal booking charges will affect the respective users.
Party chief M Karunanidhi said that it came as a `joy` that the government had not proposed any passenger fare increase despite wide anticipation of a possible revision.
"It has been said freight traffic will go up by 5.8 per cent (which will) affect entrepreneurs and traders. Similarly proposed increase in Tatkal bookings will also affect the people," he said in a statement.
He recalled that 14 new services and four new routes have been proposed for Tamil Nadu and said these should come into effect from this financial year for which Railway should make adequate allocation of funds.
It was `disappointing` that the new services announced in last year`s budget have not been implemented so far, he said while welcoming government proposal to fill up new vacancies with reservation for women in that.
He said despite announcements, the proposals to set up new terminals at Tambaram and Royapuram in the city have not received funds and have, therefore, not started.
"Tamil Nadu being largely ignored in electrification is disappointing. Differently abled are also disappointed over facilities being proposed for them every time but not being implemented.
Overall, as far as Tamil Nadu is concerned, this year`s railway budget is a mixed one and which gives both joy and disappointment," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'