Railway minister doesn`t rule out blast in TN Express fire
Kolkata: Railway Minister Mukul Roy did not rule out the possibility of a blast behind the devastating fire in Tamil Nadu Express that left 32 passengers dead on Monday.
"I am not excluding anything. I got a call from Divisional Railway Manager that there was a report of a blast. I don`t want to dwell on it further since you will infer that I am trying to divert the cause of the mishap to another direction," Roy told reporters here fore leaving for the accident site.
Later, he told a news agency "some of the injured passengers admitted to hospitals and a gateman at one of the level crossings near Nellore station heard a loud sound when the fire occurred in the coach."
Asked if he suspected sabotage, Roy said "I am not saying anything at this stage."
"Nothing is being ruled out and nothing can be said without an investigation. It will be investigated if inflammable substances were kept in the compartment or the fire was caused by a short circuit," the minister said.
Roy said he had ordered an inquiry into the fire.
He said he had spoken to the Railway Board for setting up a high-power committee which would investigate the cause of the fire.
Describing the incident as "very tragic and unfortunate", the minister announced an ex-gratia payment of Rs 5 lakh to the next of kin of each killed, besides a job.
He said Rs one lakh each would also be paid to those with grievous injuries and Rs 25,000 for those with minor injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video