Railway says no Board vacancy on charge of bribe for plum posting
New Delhi: Amid allegations that Railway Board Member Mahesh Kumar had offered bribe to get the plum posting as Member (Electrical), Railway Ministry on Saturday said no "relevant" Board level job is vacant at present and denied any wrongdoing in his present appointment as Member(Staff).
In a statement issued here, the ministry said Mahesh Kumar was the senior-most eligible officer fulfilling the tenure linked norms.
It said his career performance record fully met the necessary performance criteria for the post.
"He was accordingly considered and appointed as Member Staff, Railway Board, on 1.5.2013. No officer senior to Mahesh Kumar fulfilling the norms governing appointment to the post of Member Staff has been superseded," it said.
Referring to reports of bribe being offered to Vijay Singla, the nephew of Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal, to get the post of Member (Electrical), the statement said "no relevant Board level post is vacant at present".
The Railway Ministry statement said as per the tenure linked norms, an officer is eligible for appointment as a Member of the Railway Board if he fulfils the twin conditions of having worked as General Manager of an Open Line Railway, for a period of one year and has a balance tenure of two years of service on the date of occurrence of the vacancy.
"The officer should also be clear from vigilance angle. In case an officer who fulfils these twin norms is not available, the senior-most General Manager (Open Line) having a minimum of one year balance tenure of service from the date of occurrence of the vacancy with a clear vigilance record, is considered for appointment for the post of Member of the Railway Board," the statement explained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog