Railways claimed decline in accidents over the years
New Delhi: In a defensive posture, railways on Wednesday claimed accidents across its zones have steadily climbed down over the years even as the death toll in today`s train accident near Mathura reached 22.
Railway Board (Member) Traffic Sri Prakash said the automatic block signalling system, was absolutely foolproof and the investments in the safety over the years has led to consistent decline in number of train accidents.
According to the Railway Safety Advisor Kamlesh Gupta as against 415 accidents in 2001-02, the figure fell to 177 in 2008-09.
There were only 77 accidents till October 21 this year, said Gupta.
According to the data, railways had witnessed 415 accidents in 2001-02 but it declined to 351 in 2002-03 and 325 in 2003-04.
Subsequently, the accident rate decreased to 234 in 2004-05, 195 in 2005-06 and 2006-07. It decreased to 194 in 2007-08 and 177 in 2008-09.
The casualty figure also dropped from 326 in 2001-02 to 103 till October 15, 2008-09.
Refusing to hazard a guess on the reason behind today`s accident, Prakash, said, the Commissioner Railway Safety would investigate the causes and indicated preliminary
report would be submitted within one month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened