Railways fail to achieve Five-Year Plan targets
New Delhi: Indian Railways could achieve
only 28 per cent of the total 11th Five-Year Plan (2007-12)
targets in the first two years.
"Performance of the Railways, in the first two years
of the plan period, was much below the proportionate targets
as it could achieve only 28 per cent of total plan size,"
according to the latest report of the Comptroller and Auditor
General of India.
It was planned to add 2,000 kms of new lines, convert
10,000 kms of metre/narrow gauge into broad gauge, double the
6000 kms of single track and electrify 3500 kms of routes
during the 11th Plan.
However, in the first two years of the plan period, 513
km (25.65 per cent) of new lines, 2,612 km (26.12 per cent) of
gauge conversion, 789 kms (13.15 per cent) of doubling and
1,299 km (37.11 per cent) of electrification was completed.
According to the CAG report tabled in parliament today,
annual growth rate in passenger earnings declined from a peak
of 15.21 per cent achieved in 2007-08 to 10.52 per cent in
The report revealed that out of 144 ongoing railway
projects, six projects have been delayed by over 10 years. The
anticipated cost of completion of these projects has been
revised to Rs 13,055.47 crore from original cost of 3,463.60
The 11th Plan size of Rs 2,33,289 crore envisages
financing of Rs 63,635 cr through general budgetary support,
Rs 90,000 crore through internal resources and Rs 79,654
crores through extra budgetary resources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India