Railways form corporation for high speed train
New Delhi: Going ahead with the ambitious high speed rail project, railways on Tuesday announced formation of High Speed Rail Corporation even as Railway Minister Mallikarjun Kharge said care should be exercised in adopting new technology.
The High Speed Rail Corporation (HSRC) is being constituted as a subsidiary of Rail Vikas Nigam Ltd to undertake study and other related work for proposed high speed rail corridors in the country.
"Today we started the process. Later on its terms and condition, appointment of members, other things will be decided," Kharge said after launching the HSRC at the two-day global conference on high speed rail travel here.
However, striking a cautionary note, Railway Minister said, "One should not buy horses because horse shoes are freely available."
Hinting at the easy availability of high speed technology and equipment, Kharge said, "We should not get even if it is available free. Some time they sell it to buyers saying it is cheap. We should think whether it suits or not even if it is free or cheap."
Many advanced countries are in the race to provide technology and expertise to railways in the proposed high speed train project.
The Railway Minister said, "India`s primary focus has been to provide a mass mode of safe, reliable and affordable transport. Being the largest passenger railway in the world, it is a natural aspiration of the people of this country that Indian Railways provide them high speed rail travel."
"We have to prepare as per our requirement. For high speed trains, whatever is possible on our track in the prevailing condition will be done accordingly."
Adressing the conference, Chairman, Railway Board Arunendra Kumar said, "We are forming the High Speed Rail Corporation, a subsidiary of RVNL, to take up the necessary steps required in raising the speed of trains."
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha says he would be happy to promote Bihar as its brand ambassador
- Good news! Foreigners, NRIs can now book train tickets in India using debit, credit cards
- Telangana SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- West Bengal Assembly Elections: Polling begins in crucial fifth phase, 680 central forces companies deployed
- Severe heat wave condition in West Bengal