Railways row: Kharge retorts with a jibe at Modi
Yavatmal: Union Railway Minister Mallikarjun Kharge on Sunday took a sharp jibe at BJP`s PM candidate Narendra Modi over the latter`s criticism of financial condition of railways.
"Modi travels by air... He does not even know that trains run on tracks," Kharge said, addressing a gathering after laying the foundation stone for the Rail Udyan (garden) project at Yavatmal (narrow gauge) railway station.
Modi had recently questioned the functioning of railways in the context of its financial health.
"Adequate fund would be released to complete new railway line between Wardha and Nanded via Yavatmal. The new gardens would be developed at Yavatmal railway station and another near MIDC in Lohara village," Kharge said.
He, however, said the railway line project envisaging connecting Wardha and Nanded stations would be delayed.
"It would be easier and convenient if state government agrees to bear the cost at the ratio of 50:50 as other states are funding 2/3rd of the total cost for such projects," the Railway Minister said.
Kharge also agreed to peruse a proposal demanding a railway station at Pohra Devi, an important site for Banjara community, near here.
On a railway museum and a dedicated railway industrial corridor at Yavatmal, as demanded by MP Vijay Darda, Kharge said, "We will conduct a survey and will examine its report to ascertain if the corridor is feasible."
Besides Darda, Social Justice Minister Shivajirao Moghe, and railway officials were present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach