Railways seeks PC`s help as over 30,000 passengers stranded
New Delhi: At least 26 trains were cancelled and 31 stopped at different stations due to violence in Assam, prompting Railway Minister Mukul Roy to seek enhanced security from Home Minister P Chidambaram for safety of over 30,000 passengers stranded midway.
"It is a matter of serious concern and I have spoken to Home Minister P Chidambram asking for more security for passengers and train movement", Railway Minister Mukul Roy told reporters here.
He said he has spoken to Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi following disruption of rail services, which has cut off the entire Northeast from the rest of the country.
Several trains, including Rajdhani Express, to and from Guwahati have been regulated at New Jalpaiguri, New Cooch Bihar and Guwahati stations.
Till now, 26 trains have been cancelled due to the disturbances in the region. In addition, 37 trains have been regulated at various stations on the route, resulting in trains running several hours behind schedule.
Railways have sought deployment of adequate number of
security forces specially at the 54km-long route, the badly affected area between Srirampur and Salakati stations, to ensure smooth and safe movement of trains.
Roy said the Railways is trying its best to regulate the train movement in the zone.
He also said railways is taking steps to position affected trains at bigger stations so that the stranded passengers could be provided with food, water and security.
He pointed out that Railways has geared up to provide best possible care of stranded passengers in given circumstances.
Roy said safety and security of passengers are of uppermost concern and movement of passengers carrying trains in affected areas will be governed keeping in view this objective.
Zonal Railways, especially North-east Frontier Railways and Eastern Railways, are issuing regular bulletins informing the public about cancellation and regulation of trains in the violence-affected area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!